Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, November 5, 2010

East Africa Missions 2011

I'm excited to finally share my 2011 plans with you. In 2011, I will join Mercy Uganda and Biblical Life Ministries in half-time, on-site ministry in East Africa. Almost 2 months in Africa during 2010 gave me an opportunity to see just how God prepared me for this moment. A moment where this eclectic confusion called my life – life experiences, strengths and weaknesses, passions, education, and work experience – blends together to form something uniquely useful to the people in that country.

Ministry Stories

One highlight from my last visit was the time I spent with a group of 50 widows. Here’s one story:
My name is Apolot Florence. I am a widow with 10 children. I was forced to leave Asalatap village in Amuria District after my 4 daughters were raped by men in the Lord's Resistance Army. Being a new resident in Kinawataka, life was next to impossible and I quickly resorted to beating stones in the quarry and prostitution at night in order to earn a living. It was during those ugly moments that I met David who introduced me to Konoweka Orphans and Widows Hut. I am now learning with other widows how to make purses and hand bags.
Your gifts allowed me to worship alongside them, study the Bible and teach about entering the presence of God, and provide supplies for their handcrafts. These women were so grateful to know that we care about them that word spread and women from other villages are now asking to join their weekly fellowship.

Another highlight was visiting one of Mercy Uganda’s sponsored children. Olivia is pictured in the center-right with the demure look. Even though tuition is paid for sponsored children, many of them simply don’t have emotional and intellectual support systems needed to achieve very basic learning. Her sponsor’s gift of healthy snack foods, girly fiction books, and the game of Twister helped ensure that Olivia is ready to learn. When I return, I’ll provide regular academic tutoring and advocacy for these children to equip them to become independent and thriving learners. This means that sponsors are not only giving their child an education, but they’re also giving their child hope.

I could tell stories all day, but one last highlight comes from participating in the graduation of 26 Kenyan pastors from Biblical Life School of Ministries. The support of many donors made participating in the Bible school possible. These pastors live in remote villages and would otherwise not have access to sound theological teaching. These pastors were so excited! When I return, I’ll coordinate a short-term team in meeting some of the needs these pastors have identified in their churches. This means we’re investing in long-term relationships that reach beyond these pastors and into their communities.

Ministry Support

Like I said, this eclectic confusion that is my life was perfectly prepared for this moment. With God’s help, I’ll use my education and business expertise to minister to these people so they can lift themselves out of poverty. To fulfill God’s call, I need your help. I’ve prepared a budget projection for the six months during 2011 that I will be in East Africa and find that I will need $20,000. This amount will allow me to travel between countries and to minister alongside Mercy Uganda and Biblical Life Ministries. I’ll continue working while I’m in the U.S. to do my part in contributing to the overall support needed to make half-time ministry possible.

Pray. Listen to what God would have you do, and respond by making a donation via the PayPal link today. Your donations are tax deductible, directed to Mercy Uganda, and specifically designated for my ministry work. Join me in prayer about hearing God and having the faith to respond. Then, become an obscenely generous giver.

Trusting Him,
Leslie Mosher

No comments:

Post a Comment