Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Teaching, Preaching, and Healing

“Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people” (Matthew 4:23, 9:35). He also empowered the disciples to drive out demons, cure disease, preach the good news, and heal the sick (Luke 9:2). “So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere” (Luke 9:6).

Is this empowerment for today? Can I claim this authority in Jesus’ name? I more easily accept the empowerment given to preach the Gospel. Although I’m embarrassed to say that I seldom practice this gift, this empowerment is socially acceptable and even expected of Christians today. But what about healing the sick? Some people argue that the power to heal the sick is not for today. Questions and doubt surround the idea of physical healing because sometimes people die even when healing is claimed in Jesus’ name.

What does this mean for me? Should I teach, and preach, and heal while on these mission trips? I think the answer lies in loving and being devoted to those I serve (Romans 12:9-21).

No comments:

Post a Comment