Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Iditarod Legend Lance Mackey

I wrote about Lance Mackey in the Iditarod Starts Today post. He has an inspirational story after having faced stage four cancer and being in remission, and after having won the Iditarod this week for the fourth time in a row. What I love about his story is the perseverance and the love of life – he lives every day to its fullest. That attitude sounds so much like Rick and maybe a little like me.

Friday early evening when wandering around all four blocks of town – before I learned that I wasn’t supposed to do that alone – I was taking a picture of this sign that points to all the big cities nearby along with their respective air miles. You know the kind – 164 miles to Siberia. Well, appearing in the lower half of my photo was Lance Mackey. Good thing I’d studied his picture and watched his video or I’d not have known who it was.

Saturday we participated in a thank you breakfast for the volunteers and Mackey arrived to say thanks to us all, as did a few other mushers. I pulled up a seat near him and spoke of my admiration that he continues to press on after such enormously bad odds with cancer (i.e., didn’t expect him to make it out of surgery) and that he has this love of life and everything he does. He seemed to appreciate the brief personal conversation.

Later I went to the musher signing and did get his autograph on my Iditarod hat. Wasn’t sure what to say to all the other mushers I passed by.

No comments:

Post a Comment