Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, March 8, 2010

My Grief is Not Wasted

Sometimes I wonder if my grief experience will be of any use to the people I serve on these short-term mission trips. I, perhaps naively, sense that my response to this experience is pretty unique and may not resonate with others who are grieving deeply. I also don’t sense that “grief counseling” will be an emphasis in this year of ministry work. This is not to say that the occasion will never arise but instead that it will not be a focus.

I welcome the opportunity to share about the wonderful life Rick and I had, about the joy and the pain that creates deep, meaningful love. I welcome the opportunity to share about that sunny afternoon when the police knocked at my door. I welcome the opportunity to share about this amazing journey of hope and healing, and about this Jesus who loves me so tenderly.

I know these experiences aren’t wasted even if they’re never shared in the context of grieving. Yet, I believe that God will honor my story and use it to help me be a blessing to others and to help me allow others to be a blessing to me. Knowing this, I can go with confidence about the direction my service will take and with a heightened awareness of those moments, just the right moments, when God will chose to speak to someone else through my life in some quiet way.

“But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort” (1 Corinthians 14:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment