Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, March 1, 2010

Handing Out Tracts

Integrating mission with the Iditarod creates opportunities to connect with people, opportunities that would otherwise not be available. I hope to take advantage of every such opportunity to the best of my Father’s courage. The orientation document says that we’ll be given 50 tracts to hand out and should do so each time we shake someone’s hand. I have to admit that I’ve never been a big fan of tracts and at the same time I cannot identify the specific reason for this attitude. Perhaps fear. Perhaps the cheesy factor. Perhaps they’re outdated. Perhaps they’re impersonal.

My own resistance/attitudes, though, are a stumbling block for those in need of God’s Word. Discounting tracts as effective also discounts God’s ability to meet people where they are. Tracts are not intended to replace personal sharing but they are a way to open the door to a deeper relationship. I need to change my attitude, be familiar with the information specific to the tract, and rely on God for courage. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Charles Spurgeon said, “When preaching and private tale are not available, you need to have a tract ready…get good striking tracts, or none at all…therefore, do not go out without your tracts… Let each one of us, if we have done nothing for Christ, begin to do something now. The distribution of Gospel tracts is the first thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment