Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, March 26, 2010

Southern Hospitality

The week has come to a close. As I reflect on a big part of the group I spent the week with, the best thing I can say to characterize the experience is that it was something akin to living with the Clampets times 10. There were two large groups participating, along with a few couples, and both groups were from the south – one from Ware Shoals, South Carolina and another from Mountville, South Carolina – and somehow there was a group from Louisanna too. Most participants were well into adulthood although there were a few just older than college age’ish folks in the crowd (Justin, Lendell, Marianne, and more).

A particular group from Beaverdam Baptist Church in SC was so full of personality I think I even ended up with a southern drawl. The men were all heavily weathered, had big round bellies, grizzly beards, a bucket full of attitude, and deep southern ways. It took me almost the whole week to really know the difference between big John, Randy, Jim, and Jeff. Then there was Pastor Phil, Ron, Dave, Bingo, and Sambo. The women gave these guys just as much guff as they gave one another. Seriously, this was an absolute comedy show.

These people welcomed me with wide open arms. They started in on the heckling immediately, perhaps because heckling me relieved someone else for a while. And they really did dish it out. Wow. They had a firm determination to get me to eat grits. What a hoot! Along with this fierce heckling came a lot of love. They watched out for me, walked with me around town or to the various work locations…they had my back. What a wonderful model of community these folks shared and demonstrated. It was a real privilege to become friends with them all and to intertwine their lives into my story.

Let me not forget the other group from the south. They were the mature half of the SC group: sweet, helpful, and gracious. What a contrast.

Love all y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment