Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Extravert-Introvert Continuum

Carl Jung popularized the idea that extraversion-introversion are central dimensions of the human personality and that they reside on a single continuum. The continuum approach means that people fluctuate in their behavior given circumstances along a continuum, not that there is an absence of one type and an abundance of another.

Extraverts tend to be assertive and excitement seekers; they have a broad circle of friends and are easily sociable. Introverts tend to be reserved and less outgoing, but not necessarily loners; they have a small circle of friends, but are not necessarily shy or anxious around others. I’ve heard the two dimensions also described as a preferred source of energy – extraverts recharge by being with lots of other people and activity, introverts recharge by being alone and quiet.

I always categorized myself as introverted, although friends were often surprised. I think over time I became increasingly introverted because I didn’t like getting hurt by other people. I built walls to protect myself. I tried to be perfect so people wouldn’t have a reason to hurt me. This year has been about breaking down those walls, which is having a rather unexpected effect on my position on the extravert-introvert continuum.

Although I doubt I’ll ever be a full-on extravert, I am surprised to find myself craving relationships and that I’m much more willing to step out of my comfort zone to find them. I don’t know if this feeling is the result of having no choice but to be alone (in a marriage that no longer exists) or if it is the result of some change in me through the work of My Second Year. Whatever the case, I’m dipping my toes into this new territory with some eager anticipation and expectations of knowing people who are broken just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment