Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, May 3, 2010

Fully Devoted Follower of Christ

What does it mean to be a fully devoted follower of Christ? Fully devoted? Fully? Is it even possible to articulate the meaning behind the question? I ask because it’s so easy to skim past questions like this with answers like, “Ya, I love Jesus.” But is that what the question really asks? I’ve had lots of times in my life where I’ve been closer to or further away from Jesus, and research affirms varying degrees of relationship, which supports the idea that there is a difference between loving Jesus and being “fully devoted” to him.

So what does being “fully devoted” really mean? McLean Bible Church had a lot to say about what it means to be a “fully devoted follower of Christ.” They said six Cs would demonstrate full devotion: (1) communion with God, (2) competence in the Word, (3) consistent walk, (4) connected to the body, (5) commissioned for ministry, and (6) committed to the lost.

This approach make sense – confess Jesus, read the Bible, be faithful, have relationships, love and serve people, and evangelize – right? I’m not so sure, to be honest. I feel like there is a difference between doing all the “right” things and actually being “fully devoted.” For the past year and a half I’ve felt like I’m on the cusp of this full and complete abandon to the things of Jesus, but I can’t quite figure out how to step over that edge…fully. So help me. What does it mean? What does it look like? What does it feel like? How do I get there? Is this feeling what it means to be hungry for God?

“The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you” (2 Corinthians 15:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment