Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Packing for Alaska

I began packing for the trip with the hope that all my winter gear would fit in one carry-on suitcase along with nearly three weeks worth of bare necessities. I knew the chances were slim, which was confirmed once I put the boots in the case…they pretty much filled up the space. I guess there is no getting around checking luggage.

-40° boots, ice grip thingies for the boots, hiking boots (tennis shoes aren’t warm enough), and slippers for walking around the church to and from the bathroom and such. Long underwear, Ricky’s goofy looking camouflage snow pants, and Max’s regular black snow pants. Scarf, pull over full face mask, mittens and over mittens that resist snow. Fleece jacket, winter jacket, and rain jacket. Regular clothes, sweats to sleep in, socks, undies, and the like. Yep, I might need all this stuff at the same time. I’ve also got to have three weeks worth of hand warmers, shampoo, toothpaste, q-tips, vitamins, laundry soap, and sun lotion (bright sun reflecting on the snow). My Bible, sunglasses, nail clippers, books, maps, instructions, and contact information are also needed. And my computer, of course…and some people think I need a phone. Am I missing anything? Oh ya, a towel…this isn’t the Hilton. What else?

What a lot of stuff! On one hand it’s embarrassing to own so much. On the other hand many of these items reflect a life lived in the joy of God’s creation.

IDITAROD UPDATE: Lance Mackey won the Iditarod yesterday for the fourth consecutive year.

1 comment:

  1. Go with all your stuff and God and your belief in his faithfulness and goodness. Looking forward to your updates while there (you will be able to update while you're there, won't you?)

    ReplyDelete