Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reform, Rely, Renew

The decline of the kings comes after David’s reign. Solomon fell away from God as did his son Rehoboam and his son Abijah. But after Abijah died, his son Asa became king of Judah and he realized that he had a choice to make. Would he follow in the ways of his father or would he do what was right in the eyes of the Lord?

2 Chronicles 14 tells the story of his choice to remove alters, smash stones, and cut down poles. He relied on God for help and he renewed his commitment to his laws and commands. Azariah, a prophet, called a blessing on Asa and Judah and said, “But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded” (2 Chronicles 15:7).

Every day I have to give up things that were once important to me (control, power, justice, being right, etc.) and refocus my heart on God. Every day I renew my vows to Him and ask for a heart that beats with His heart. Every day I feel like I fail…miserably. Why? What keeps me apart from Him?

Flesh Responses
• Does not have to be invited
• Shows up immediately
• Shouts

Spirit Responses
• Desires an invitation
• Comes over time
• Whispers

Why is it that I have to start every day over…from the beginning? Why is it so hard to move from flesh to Spirit? Why do I have to fail over and over again? Why? Why don’t I seem to “get it”? Am I the only one? Why is it so hard for me but not for other people? What is wrong with me? What will it take?

Thanks (I think) to Pastor Jeff at Ada Bible Church for providing my Saturday date-night with Jesus and for writing a sermon just for me even though this is only the second time in 10 years that I’ve attended this church. Thanks for telling me over and over again, “…be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded” (2 Chronicles 15:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment