Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, April 26, 2010

Uganda Life Expectancy

Today the Ugandan life expectancy is 52 years (78 in the U.S.) but as peace time continues this age might increase. A number of factors, other than the prevalence of AIDS, determine life expectancy such as access to medical care, life risks (smoking, alcohol, etc.), body mass, and access to healthy foods.

Just for kicks I calculated my life expectancy using the death clock. I will die on Thursday, September 10, 2048 at the age of 79. No thanks. According to this same clock Rick should have lived until Thursday, January 19, 2023. Huh, guess it’s off a little.

According to the calculations of financial planners, I should live to be 89 years old. Again, no thanks. They said that my weight and personality type were two of the biggest factors prohibiting a longer life and that my age is a positive factor…how can a certain age be a positive factor for having a longer life? None of these factors are compelling enough to change so that I live beyond 89, as a matter of fact I might just start on the fried chicken again.

According to the calculations of life insurance companies, I should live till I’m 90. Seems like the financial planners and insurance companies have ulterior motives. I tried to do a life expectancy calculator for Boston Apartments but the end button didn’t work. Apparently life expectancy is important when renting apartments in Boston.

All joking aside, a life expectancy of 52 years in Uganda would be expected to limit wisdom based on life experience, hinder motivation to excel in school, or derail efforts to effect major change in the country. I wonder about the reality of the affects of short life expectancy in Uganda.

“The length of our days is seventy years – or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away” (Psalm 90:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment